Monday, April 18, 2011

Search for a Camera Bag : Part I - Retail

Part I of III
I was recently the lucky recipient of an amazing new Canon EOS 60D. I'm thrilled, but cautious. It doesn't quite fit in my old camera bag, so I'm hesitant about taking it out into the world. I can't wait to get out there and start shooting, but I want to take my gear with me and not worry about something breaking. Luckily, I was able to get an additional discount on the camera he bought, which cleared up some cash for a camera bag. And the hunt began...

Previously, I had a simple Samsonite camera bag (below) for my S2 IS. It worked, but it was chunky and uncomfortable. I never took it anywhere, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.
A serious camera needs a serious camera bag that can keep up, and I was going to find that perfect bag.

The Search Begins

Those who know me, know that I'm pretty detail-oriented. I like data and analysis. I love spreadsheets. When I say I'm searching for the perfect bag, I'm serious. I am looking for a bag big enough to carry my 60D with attached lens and an extra lens or two. Then, of course, your typical small accessories (SD card, batteries, etc) and a manual or small notebook. I want a bag that is no bigger than it needs to be, padded to protect my gear, resilient, and comfortable. I'd like for it to look decent and wear well (IE not be so padded that is is completely unmanageable).

Below I'm going to cover some of the bags that I researched or tested out and discuss why they were awesome (or not). We will get more detailed as we get closer to the final three. The Chosen Bag is en route, so once it arrives I will review it as well. I'm hoping this information will help others who are on the quest for a similar bag.

I started searching forums online. My eye was first directed at LowePro, a retail line of camera bags with a variety of models and styles. I was intrigued by both the SlingShot 102 AW (left) and the Passport (right).


The both seemed like great contenders, until I visited them in person. The bags were much larger than I had realized. The Passport was interesting, but bulky, oddly formatted, and kind of ugly. The Slingshot was heavily padded and awkward for me to operate. Both bags were around $50 - $55.

Next, came the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. The size seemed more manageable, so I checked it out in person as well.The bag comes in some interesting color combinations, simple but stylish. The size seems manageable, but the padding inside is pretty hardcore. It is difficult to maneuver and just feels too padded and stiff. The whole bag has a look that really does feel "crumply." At a price point of $82, I was hoping for something that looked (and felt) a little nicer.

While I was hiding my disappointment in the Crumpler, I spotted a Domke F-5XB out of the corner of my eye. Now, here's a nice, rugged looking bag.
I heard that Domke bags are top notch, and this bag really does scream quality. I love that it is made out of an actual fabric and not some crazy, scratchy nylon. The bag is soft and comfortable. It is padded but can still mold and conform to your body. It has a zipper to keep your equipment inside of the bag, hooray! Sadly, at 10.5"L X 6.5"H X 4.5"D, the bag was a bit too small for me. I did look for a "next size up," but there didn't seem to be a viable option. There is a chance the bag would work, but it would be cramped with little to no room for knick-knacks. If I could afford it as an alternative to a main camera bag, I would buy it. But $80 does feel like a bit much for a bag I can't use frequently.

At this point, I was starting to feel disappointed that out of ALL the camera bags I had looked up and tested out at the store (many not mentioned here), nothing was jumping out at me. A lovely woman at Arlington Camera was kind enough to show me the Jill-E Carry All Bag.
I'm honestly not the kind of girl that needs a super fancy or girly bag. I was perfectly happy with the rugged look of the Domke bag. So, I hadn't even looked at any of the "women's bags." The ones I did see from across the room did not seem very functional. This bag, however, is pretty simple--all black.  The size is reasonable, the divisions are manageable and easy to adjust. It seems to hold everything I need, though at 13.5" X 9" X 5", it is slightly larger than my ideal size. The bag itself is heavily padded, which makes it somewhat rigid and bulky. It does not conform to your body and the entire bag is made out of a nylon substance that just feels... cheap. As an aside: you can zip off the top and switch it out with something more colorful. Options are appealing, but I didn't love any of the designs available. At $40, the price is certainly right. This was the closest candidate yet, so I kept it in mind.

Finally, the Think Tank Retrospective 10. Online, this bag almost looks like an older cousin of the Domke F-5XB.


Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it locally and try it out. The Retrospective 10 rings in at a decent "medium" size of 12" X 9.5" X 6" and cost about $125. The size is right, and people seem to generally like the Think Tank brand. I started to wonder, however, if I couldn't get a decent handmade bag for this price point.

And so the search took on a new direction...

Story continues in Part II: Handmade.

No comments:

Post a Comment