Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Caped Rabbit

About three years ago, I ventured to the Cottonwood Arts Festival and fell in love with two sculpture artists: Sumati and Michael Colpitts. Amongst their many creations, they make these gorgeous Caped Rabbits. The detail is amazing, and each piece is made by hand--you'll find no molds or casts here. Unfortunately, I was not able to take any of their work home that day. But, I have been visiting their shows ever since that first day, waiting patiently until I found a piece as perfect as the one that stole my heart that first day. Today, we found him.

Caped Rabbit 02

We promptly took him to a nearby park and had a little photo-shoot. We found the above tree/trunk in the middle of a walking trail, it was perfect!

Caped Rabbit 01

Since we live in Texas, we had to stop by a bluebonnet field and grab a couple of shoots there too. What, you didn't know that bluebonnet pictures are a mandatory requirement of Texas residents?

Caped Rabbit 04

On the way out, we ran into this lovely protective bird.

Bird

We tried to stay out of her way, but accidentally stumbled upon the nest anyways.

Bird's Eggs

No worries, we didn't disturb the eggs in any way. I am curious to know what kind of bird this was, though. Does anyone know? You can't see it here, but her eyes matched that orange on her wings perfectly. Just beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the rabbit, which I will be taking from your home in my backpack next time I visit.

    The bird is a Killdeer: http://www.birdwatching.com/stories/killdeer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, the rabbit is BEAUTIFUL! what a great piece you now own :) love the fun shots too!

    ReplyDelete